AFTER an “hour of Octonaut power’’ on ABC For Kids on Sunday and full viewing of The Octonauts: Meet the Octonauts DVD, I figured it was time I shared what it was about this show that has mesmerised nearly preschooler Princess Ella. And me, for that matter.
I don’t recall the last show that captured Ella’s imagination to this extent. Every game we play now starts with: “Octonauts, to your stations’’ and “Explore! Rescue! Protect!’’. I’m quite happy to stay in the safe surrounds of the Octopod, to be honest.
The show is based on the books by award-winning design team, Meomi. Captain Barnacles Bear, Lieutenant Kwazii Cat and Medic Peso Penguin dive into action (bad pun, I know) when there is trouble under the sea. Using some rather incredible looking vehicles, they rescue sea creatures and explore the underwater world.
What Ella has taken away from watching the show is:
- Recognition of different sea creatures and an appreciation for the beauty of the underwater world. Although, let me know if you ever spot that turnip creature.
- Understanding the need to protect and preserve our oceans.
- Has fostered her imagination, which has spilled through to our playtime activities and her drawing. She can draw a rather impressive Peso.
- The importance of team work in achieving goals. Milking this one during pack up time.
- Teaches her about different emotions and how to deal with them.
The Octonauts is such a cute concept and thoroughly enjoyable for children AND parents (I always think this is hugely important. Don’t get me started!). The CGI characters are bright visually, but also in nature as they play out what are strong storylines.
Some may argue the storyline is simply regurgitated each episode – a sea creature finds itself in trouble and the Octonauts come to the rescue – but each plot is fresh and interesting. As all good fish should be. It is, for sure, ABC for Kids’ shining star at the moment, capturing the hearts and imaginations of children.
The Octonauts DVD (RRP: $19.95) has a run time of 77 minutes.
This month Roadshow and ABC are also releasing Giggle and Hoot: Present Hoot-tastic Dress Ups DVD (RRP: $19.99) taking from the popular TV show, and
Giggle and Hoot: Bedtime Stories and Songs CD (RRP $14.95). The CD includes guest appearances from characters from The Wiggles, Shaun the Sheep and Play School to sing 15 songs, including Birdcage Boogie to Hoot’s Lullaby.
Would you like to win a copy of all three titles? For a chance to win ONE OF TWO ABC FOR KIDS PACKS (including The Octonauts: Meet The Octonauts DVD, Giggle and Hoot: Present Hoot-tastic Dress Ups DVD and Giggle and Hoot: Bedtime Stories and Songs CD), simply leave a comment telling us your child’s favourite Octonauts character. The giveaway closes Tuesday, November 1 at 7pm and a winner will be drawn randomly and announced on this blog and via Facebook and Twitter. Australian residents only. Limit of four entries.
Want extra entries? Then here’s how you can up your chances in the draw. Each task is worth one extra entry, but must be included as a separate comment (or it won’t count).
- Click the Facebook button below and share this giveaway with your Facebook friends. Then leave a separate comment saying something along the lines of “I’ve shared this on Facebook’’.
- Click the Twitter button below and share this giveaway with your Twitter followers (Twitter handle is @ThreeLil). Then leave a separate comment saying something along the lines of “I’ve shared this on Twitter’’.
- Follow me via the Google Friend Connect button over there in the sidebar and leave a comment telling me you’re now a follower.
**DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of The Octonauts: Meet The Octonauts DVD for review. All opinions expressed are purely my own.
Check out more giveaways in the Aussie Giveaway Linkup.
Hosted by Three Lil Princesses